In Egypt, the modern city of Hu (or Hiu) is located on the west bank of the Nile about 30 km west of Dendera, in a place where the river goes again towards the North. Flinders Petrie excavated both sites of Abadiyeh and Hu in one season, from 1898 to 1899. He found the ruins of the pre-dynastic, of the 6th Dynasty, of the Middle Kingdom, of the New Kingdom and a Greco-Roman temple. Recently, Kathryn Bard of Boston University, took over the excavation of the many pre-dynastic cemeteries where Petrie extracted many ceramics without formally record the exact place of their origin.
Hu was the capital of the 7th nome of Upper Egypt. From the end of the 19th century Petrie appointed Hu as Diospolis Parva in his book "Deshasheh, Diospolis Parva Athribis". In this, he followed other previous researchers on the based of Greco-Roman papyri.
From the south of Hu, an ancient road was expected to reach Thebes, the shorter, through the desert without entering the loop that made the Nile in this region. It is around this ancient route that the largest number of references to "Hu" in hieroglyphic texts are found (but none of Hut Sekhem) :
Some same priestesses have simultaneously functions in temples of Hou and of Thebes;
Registered trade are writed between fields of Amon of Hu and warehouses of Amon of Thebes;
Graffiti on a scribe of Hu and one a warrior of Hu were read at Wadi el-Hol.
Regarding the stelae and the writings found near Hu, the mentions of "Hut Sekhem" are related to the attributes of the goddess Hathor, Isis and Nephthys who are "masters of Hout-Sekhmou". The most illuminating is the text on a block of the forteress of Hou, found by Petrie, who evokes a local goddess called Udjarenes deified, which was later identified with Hathor. But that does not enough for saying that "Hut Sekhem" was the full name of Hu.