The site of Warka, Iraq, was excavated for the first time during years 1850 and 1854 by William Kennett Loftus. From 1912 until now, German teams of the Deutsche Orient-Gesellschaft do the archaeological research.
The site was occupied for about 5,000 years, from the beginning of the Ubaid period. At the end of the fourth millennium, it was the largest city in Mesopotamia and probably around the world, with an estimated population of 50,000 inhabitants.
After the third millennium the city declined politically. But it remained an important religious center.
The country name of "Iraq" would come from Uruk after his Persian deformation "Eraq". It may be, too, that the site's current name comes from Uruk.