"Khirbet Kerak" or "Beth Yerah" (which in Hebrew means "house of the moon god") or "Al-Sinnabra" is a tell of 22.5 hectares located west of the Jordan River near the Sea Galilee. Its dimensions are approximately 1 200 meters by 300.
The site was surveyed in 1920 by Eleazar Sukenik, then by William F. Albright. In 1933, due to work related to a new Samak-Tiberias road that now crosses the tell, Na'im Makhouly has conducted salvage excavations.
Between 1940 and 1955, B. Mazar, Mr. Stekelis, Mr. Avi-Yonah, P. and M. Guy Bar-Adon have carried out archaeological research. But other wild excavation took place thereafter.
The site was occupied between the 4th and 3rd millennium BC (from 3400 to 2200 BC). A Egyptian pallet shows a relationship with the first dynasty of pharaohs.
A massive structure, probably that of a temple or a warehouse, was built around the middle of the 3rd millennium. It was composed of eight concentric circles of stone.
The city was destroyed around 2000.
The site gave its name to a type of pottery characterized by a finishing giving it a burnt appearance with red, black and brown. This is a contemporary ceramic of the temple. It originates from northern Anatolia and the Caucasus. It was found in a large area around "Khirbet Kerak" in Syria and Palestine.